Our all in one mango chicken and rice is an effortless dish, perfect for enjoying in the middle of week. With a sticky and sweet marinade, it packs so much flavour! Everything is cooked in the one tray, and once cooked, the chicken is presented on bed of creamy, fluffy rice. Very little work needed, but delicious results guaranteed.
The marinade is very simple and easy to make. All you need is a diced mango, a few herbs and some spices whizzed up in a blender. Either dice your own mango or buy it ready prepared in fresh, frozen or tinned form.
For the fresh herbs, we used thyme (my favourite with chicken) and coriander for that fragrant freshness. Then in with a little ground coriander and clove for a hint of warmth, which compliments the chilli. Finally the marinade is rounded off with a little soy sauce, cider vinegar, salt and pepper, to balance out the sweetness of the mango.
The brilliant thing about this meal, is that the oven does all the work. Once the chicken is marinated, you can start on the rice.
Use a tray that allows the chicken to sit snugly on top of the rice, covering it completely. However, it’s not essential. If the chicken doesn’t cover the rice completely in the tray you have, just check the dish regularly while cooking. This is to ensure the rice hasn’t dried out.
When the rice is covered with the chicken, it creates a lid. This stops too much liquid evaporating. The juices from the chicken will also help to keep the rice moist, and act as a flavoursome stock.
For more all in one chicken bakes, try this maple glazed chicken bake – it’s one of our all time favourites!
Enjoy this all in one mango chicken and rice dish, on its own or serve with a homemade coleslaw. Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think on Instagram or Facebook.
All in One Mango Chicken and Rice
- 12 large chicken thighs
- 2 spring onions to serve finely sliced
for the marinade
- 200 g diced mango
- 1 small white onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 20 g fresh coriander
- 4 sprigs of thyme stalks removed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar white wine or red will do
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground gloves around 2-3 cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
For the rice
- 240 g basmati rice washed thoroughly
- 400 ml tin of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the marinade ingredients into a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. Season to taste.
- Coat the chicken in the marinade and leave for at least 30 minutes or up until the next day – the longer you leave it the better.
- In a deep baking tray, add the rice with the tin of coconut milk. Fill the now empty coconut milk tin up to the top with water and add that to the tray too. Mix well, and season with salt and pepper.
- Try to spread the rice across the whole baking tray, and then carefully place the chicken on top.
- Bake for around 45 minutes to an hour until the rice is cooked and chicken is crispy and cooked through.
- Garnish with spring onion to serve.