This charred salad with baked feta is a cocktail of all the things that I love about Mediterranean food. Packed full of fantastic vegetables, with layers of colours and flavours, this dish is garnished with olive oil, lemon juice and fresh parsley, for a simple finish. What better way to bring a little bit of the sunny Mediterranean to your day!
Aubergines and courgettes look fantastic when lightly charred on the griddle pan. Using a griddle pan to cook the char the vegetable also adds flavour, especially to the onions and peppers. There is something so satisfying about the neat marks made by the pan and when mixed together, you have a wonderful array of colours.
Simply cook in extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle over some oregano and finish with a helping of lemon juice. I left the tomatoes out and mixed them in at the end with the olives to give the dish a raw crunch.
Feta cheese has a fantastic, strong and distinctive flavour, which works well with sweet vegetables. I usually find that it’s a cheese to accompany something, rather than one you’d find on a cheese board. When baked, however, the texture becomes soft and its characteristic flavour is toned down. This makes it absolutely divine to enjoy, spread generously over crusty bread.
For more recipes using feta cheese, check out this black treacle, beetroot salad or this roasted baby aubergine salad.
You can enjoy this charred salad with baked feta at any time. Whether it be on its own or on the side of a main dish. We enjoyed it with homemade kebabs and fresh pitta bread which worked perfectly.
Why not give this a go, be it on the side of a barbecue or simply enjoyed on its own.
Charred Vegetables with Baked Feta
- griddle pan preferred
- 1 courgette chunky sliced
- 1 aubergine chunky sliced
- 1 red bell pepper chunky diced
- 2 red onions chunky diced
- 3 cloves of garlic cut in half
- 100 g cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 50 g pitted black olives
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 g fresh parsley leaves picked
- You can use a normal dry frying pan but a griddle pan is preferred here. Bring it up to a high heat, until its smoking hot.
- Add the aubergine, courgette, pepper and onions in batches, to get a slight char on each side and then remove and save for later.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7/220°C/425°F.
- When the vegetables have cooled enough to handle, mix together with a tablespoon of the oil, plus the oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the feta cheese into the middle of a deep baking and then arrange the vegetables around it. Bake for 15 minutes.
- When it is ready, remove from the oven and scatter with the olives, tomatoes and parsley. Finish with a drizzle of the rest of the olive oil.