This maple glazed chicken bake is a fuss-free, delicious and balanced feast. Once in the oven, it doesn’t require much attention, making it perfect for enjoying midweek with the whole family or with friends at a dinner party on the weekend!
Chicken thighs are brilliant as they are juicy and full of flavour. It really does take a lot to over cook them. This means that you can be guaranteed delicious results every time, making them perfect for any tray bake.
For more recipes using chicken thighs, why not try this crispy baked chicken curry.
The marinade for this maple glazed chicken bake includes maple syrup, of course, but it’s the smoked paprika that really gives it a little something extra. The red wine gives a welcome acidity, which balances the overall sweetness. Finally, the marinade is finished with some garlic and onion granules to round it all off. Our mouth’s are watering just thinking about it!
To keep the vegetables at their best flavour and textures, we added them in stages throughout the cooking process. Half way through cooking, the greens are added under chicken. This allows them to keep their colour and texture. It also helps to flavour the vegetables. It’s important to add the tomatoes just before the end. This stops them from being over cooked and losing their texture.
With all the elements combined, this recipe offers a nutritious and balanced meal. We enjoyed this with some simple, plain rice. To keep it light, this dish would go wonderfully with new potatoes too. However, for a bit of extra indulgence, you could use some crusty bread to mop up the tasty juices left in the tray.
However you enjoy it, get creative and show us by posting a photo and tagging us on either Instagram or Facebook.
Maple glazed chicken bake
- 12-14 chicken thighs skin on and bone
- 1 big handful of tender stem broccoli remove hard end
- 1 big handful of asparagus remove had end
- 1 big handful of green beans trim
For the marinade
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F.
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together well and adjust seasoning to taste.
- In a bowl, pour the marinade over the chicken and mix/rub well until the chicken is coated. Add to a deep baking tray in rows. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and take off the foil. Now it's time to add the vegetables (except the tomatoes) underneath the chicken in the same tray. The easiest way to do this, with little mess, is to place one row of the chicken on top of another and, in the space where the chicken was, cover the bottom of the tray with some of the green vegetables. Pop the chicken back over the vegetables. Repeat this until all of the vegetables are underneath the chicken.
- Add the chicken back to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, without the foil, until the chicken is golden and crispy.
- You can simply enjoy on its own or with some roasted new potatoes or rice.