Our quinoa and potato salad is the perfect side dish to go with your barbecue this summer. Packed with delicious new potatoes, quinoa and some delicious pea shoots, all tossed in a super tasty dressing. This recipe is simple and easy to make. Perfect served either hot or cold.
Everyone loves potato salad and this one is no exception. New potatoes are a delicious addition to any meal. This is thanks to their sweet flavour and creamy texture. As they don’t need peeling, they are quick and easy to work with too.
Quinoa is a fantastic grain with many health benefits. High in protein and fibre to keep you fuller for longer, it really is a super grain. It also has a great texture, similar to couscous and works perfectly in this salad, giving the dish a whole new dimension.
If you are looking to use quinoa more often, try these fennel spiced lamb meatballs which are served with quinoa and chickpeas.
The dressing is the perfect, light lift this salad needs. Instead of mayonnaise, yogurt is used to give it a lighter, slightly sour note, which works well with a little extra virgin olive oil.
All mixed together with a touch of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Simple is always best when it comes to dressings. Finally, finish it off with some finely chopped mint and slices of spring onion. For a little more freshness, we added some pea shoots which are have a similar taste to peas, which compliments the mint.
Quinoa and Potato Salad
- 450 g new potatoes
- 100 g white quinoa
- 70 g pea shoots
- 2 spring onions fine sliced
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint You can use dried if you like
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the quinoa thoroughly and then cook as per the package guidelines. This usually takes around 20 minutes.
- Wash the potatoes and cut any large ones in half. Add to a steamer pot or boil in a saucepan, until cooked through. This should take around 15 minutes.
- Mix together all of the dressing ingredients and season to taste.
- When the quinoa is finished, strain and leave to cool slightly. Do the same with the potatoes.
- If served hot or warm then mix everything thoroughly, once the quinoa and potatoes have slightly cooled, with the spring onions and pea shoots.
- If serving cold then mix together when the potatoes and quinoa have cooled completely in the fridge, for best results.